Rioter arrested alongside millionaire's daughter jailed for eight years
PUBLISHED September 20, 2012
Alexander Elliot-Joahill, 19, had already admitted burgling electrical stores in south east London, alongside Exeter University student Laura Johnson at the height of riots on August 9 last year.
But the previous evening, as trouble began to spread across the capital, Elliot-Joahill hurled bricks through the side window of a stationary police car injuring a female officer inside.
Johnson, who was sentenced to two years in prison after being convicted of burglary and handling stolen goods, was not with him during the attack on the officers.
Elliot-Joahill had previously pleaded guilty to a number of offences connected to the riots in Lewisham, South East London, including possession of a knife, violent disorder, robbery from a fast food outlet and burglary.
But he had had denied throwing bricks at the police car which was parked in Lewisham High Street and contained two traffic officers.
Witnesses had claimed he approached the vehicle and threw the brick from very close range through the side window striking the officer in the head.
She suffered lacerations to her face and head and received cuts from the flying glass. She has since recovered and has returned to duties.
The teenager had attempted to conceal his identity by covering his face with a hooded top with zips across the face.
Elliot-Joahill was convicted last month after a trial at Blackfriars Crown Court and was sentenced to eight years today.
DC Lisa Lathbury from Operation Withern, which is continuing to investigate the riots said: "Elliott-Joahill and those arrested with him went out on the evening of 8 August with the intention of stealing from local stores and joining in the mass disorder and looting.
"We can only be thankful that his violent and reckless attack on an officer with a brick did not cause far more serious injury.
"We continue to investigate and pursue those involved in the disorder and are still trawling through a large volume of CCTV footage. Suspects are being identified on a daily basis which is leading to further arrests and court appearances.
"We are grateful for all the help received and would like to encourage people to continue to assist us and provide us with information which may be pivotal to bringing criminals to justice."
Detective Superintendent William Lyle, in charge of Operation Withern, said: "I would like to praise the officers from the Operation Withern team who worked tirelessly on this case. Their work has seen a violent man jailed for his reckless actions.
"I would also like to reassure Londoners that my team will continue to pursue those responsible for criminal acts during last year's disorder, and put them before the courts to face justice."