Victims of crime will now be able to hold the criminal justice system to account thanks to a statutory new Victims Code, Helen Grant announced today.
- Tell people what they can expect from the moment they report a crime to the end of a trial and who to demand help from.
- Ensure extra support for victims of the most serious crimes.
- Offer specialist help to young victims.
- Give all businesses, for the first time, the opportunity to tell the court how a crime has impacted on them.
- Provide all the information needed for a victim to tell the court about the effect a crime has had by providing a Victim Personal Statement. Previously information was provided on an ad hoc basis.
- Ensure a right to redress by making all criminal justice agencies use a clear, accessible complaints system.