In the Media

Sun journalist arrested in hacking investigation

PUBLISHED July 19, 2012

He was held at his home in north London at 6.30am and is the seventh person to be arrested as part of Operation Tuleta.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Officers from Operation Tuleta, the investigation into criminal breaches of privacy which is being carried out in conjunction with the Metropolitan Police Service phone-hacking inquiries, arrested one man at his home in north London at approximately 6.30 this morning."

He said no more information would be released for "operational reasons".

News International sources suggested that the arrest was linked to an incident which occurred more than a year ago when Mr Phillips was working a night shift at the newspaper.

They claimed that he had taken a call from a member of the public who believed he had found a mobile phone belonging to an MP on a train.

Mr Phillips went to meet the man and established that the phone probably had been lost by an MP but that it was not of interest to the tabloid. On his return to the office, he is said to have left a memo for news editors detailing the incident and according to Sun insiders, this was the basis for his arrest.

Colleagues are understood to be particularly incensed by this arrest as they insist he was simply doing his job and is a "professional, straight down the line reporter".

In an email to staff, News International chief executive Tom Mockridge confirmed that he was "afraid that another of our journalists from the Sun has been arrested this morning".

Operation Tuleta was launched in July last year and is running alongside the probe into phone hacking.

It was launched following claims that emails had been intercepted and computer files were hacked by individuals working on behalf of newspapers.

In February, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers told the Leveson Inquiry that officers are probing computer hacking and the 'blagging' of medical records under Operation Tuleta.

So far, 24 people have been arrested as part of Operation Weeting, the phone-hacking inquiry, and 41 as part of Operation Elveden, an investigation into alleged corrupt payments to officials.