Phone Hacking: Two more files passed to prosecutors
PUBLISHED May 11, 2012
There are currently three inquires, Operations Weeting, Tuleta and Elveden, looking into allegations of phone hacking, computer hacking and claims that journalists made illegal payments to public officials for stories.
A total of 185 officers are currently assigned to the three investigations and Scotland Yard has said it has planned for the investigations to run for another three years if necessary.
Detectives are trawling though vast amounts of information, which is being passed to them from News International's Management and Standards Committee.
Last night the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced it had received two more files from the police, taking to five the number of cases now under consideration.
The latest files relate to two police officers, who were arrested on suspicion of committing misconduct in a public office.
A total of 12 individuals, including three journalists, three police officers and six members of the public, have now had their files forwarded to the CPS, but more are expected to follow in the coming weeks.
A spokesman for the CPS would not confirm the identity of the latest two officers involved but said they were working closely with police as part of the ongoing investigation.
The spokesman said: "We are not prepared to discuss the identities of those involved or the alleged offences in any greater detail at this stage as a number of related investigations are ongoing.
"We are unable to give any timescale for charging decisions, except to say that these cases are being considered very carefully and thoroughly, and the decisions will be made as soon as is practicable."
Last month the first set of files since the full extent of the phone hacking scandal was uncovered, were past to prosecutors.
It is believed the allegations under consideration included the cases involving Guardian journalist Amelia Hill and former News International chief executive, Rebekah Brooks.
The CPS were also asked to consider allegations of witness intimidation against the News of the World former chief reporter, Neville Thurlbeck, but prosecutors have since announced they are to take no further action in that case.
The Metropolitan Police are currently carrying out a number of investigations into allegations of phone hacking at the News of the World and claims that illegal payments were made to public officials by reporters working for the Murdoch owned Sun newspaper.
A total of 43 people are currently on bail in connection with the various police operations and more files are expected to be passed to the CPS once investigations are complete.