In the Media

Fraudster Michael Brown faces jail after arriving back in Britain

PUBLISHED May 1, 2012

Brown touched down on UK soil last night after he was extradited from Spain to serve a prison sentence imposed for a £36 million fraud.

The con man, who was convicted in his absence at Southwark Crown Court three years ago while on the run in the Dominican Republic, flew into Gatwick Airport handcuffed to a City of London Police detective.

He is due to appear at the same court later today where a judge will order him to serve his seven-year jail term.

Det Supt Bob Wishart, from City of London Police, said: "We are very pleased that Michael Brown is where he belongs - in UK custody preparing to serve a seven-year prison sentence.

"That this convicted fraudster has been brought to justice is something I hope will give comfort to the victims of his crime and bring a degree of closure to what they experienced at his hands."

While police have welcomed his extradition, Brown's arrival is a reminder to the Lib Dems that the man who gave their party its biggest ever donation is a criminal.

Nick Clegg, the The Deputy Prime Minister and Lib Dem leader, has said his party will not repay £2.4 million Brown gave them in 2005.

Glasgow-born Brown, 46, fled Britain in 2008 and lived a lavish lifestyle under a false name after stealing £36 million by posing as a bond trader.

His victims included former Manchester United chairman, Martin Edwards, who was defrauded of £8 million.

He was arrested in the Dominican Republic in January over an unrelated fraud charge and deported to Spain because the Caribbean country does not have an extradition treaty with Britain.

Brown, who was living under the name Darren Nally, was held at the Soto del Real prison outside Madrid before British police flew out to collect him yesterday.

He arrived in London at 6.40pm last night and was held in a cell overnight.

Det Supt Bob Wishart added: "I would like to thank the CPS, SOCA and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for their assistance and advice in ensuring that Brown was returned to the UK expeditiously once we were advised by the local authorities that he was living under a false name in the Dominican Republic."