In the Media

Serial thief 'problem to society'

PUBLISHED October 2, 2006

A persistent thief described by his own solicitor as ?a problem to society? has been given a further jail sentence by city magistrates after racking up more offences while out on licence.

Kevin Page, who has committed more than 120 offences, yesterday admitted two further offences while out on licence. He has already been recalled to prison and was due to be released in three weeks' time. Yesterday he got an extra three weeks.

Drug addict Page, formerly of Gowing Court, Mile Cross, was branded a ?serious menace? by Judge Paul Downes when he sentenced him to two years in December 2004.

That hearing at Norwich Crown Court was told he broke into a car - his ?stock in trade? offence - just 10 days after being given the latest in a long line of ?last chances? on the Prolific Offender Programme.

Yesterday's hearing was told that Page, now 25, had been recalled to prison twice after being released on licence during the two year sentence.

Yesterday Page admitted an offence of motor vehicle interference - which carries a maximum sentence of three months - and asked for an offence of burglary to be taken into consideration.

Prosecutor Josephine Jones said Meena Singh had left her Vauxhall Nova car parked in Charles Square, Norwich on the evening of May 20.

The next morning she discovered a door had been forced, the ignition area damaged and the car moved a few feet.

Page had left a fingerprint behind and when he was interviewed later he said he had intended to use the car to get home.

And he asked the officers for an offence of burglary at Vincents Norwich Ltd in Newton St Faith on May 15 to be taken into account. A ring, wallet and phone had been taken.

Ian Fisher, for Page, said because of the recalls he had served 22 out of the 24 months he got instead of the normal half of the sentence.

?He is a problem to society, a problem to the court,? admitted Mr Fisher.

In 2004 a decision by the courts to give Page a conditional discharge was blasted by Norfolk police. At that time he had 38 previous convictions and Sarah Francis, chief inspector, said he should have received a harsher sentence.