16:30 - 17:30
Tutor: Professor Ed Cape
The Police Station Update Webinar is designed for lawyers who act for clients at the police station, and will cover developments in legislation, the PACE Codes and case-law over the past year. Topics will include –
- The revised PACE Code C (in force from June 2014) – especially the provisions implementing the EU Directive on the right to information
- Provisions of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015, including changes to police cautions, and extending the definition of ‘juvenile’ to 17-year-olds
- Recent case-law, including –
- Powers of arrest - Walker v CPM; Copeland v CPM
- Powers of search – R (AB and CD) v Huddersfield Magistrates’ Court (PACE s18); Davies v Chief Constable of Merseyside (PACE s54)
- The right to silence – R v Sakyi
- Transfer of juveniles to local authority accommodation – R (BG) v Chief Constable of West Midlands Constabulary
- Identification – R v Lariba, Dos Santos and Hamilton
- Execution of duty by police officers – Tester v DPP; Metcalf v DPP
- Immigration document cases – R v Mulgeta, Issa and Firouzi
Ed Cape is Professor of Criminal Law and Practice at the University of the West of England, Bristol. He is the author of Defending Suspects at Police Stations (7th edition due to be published early 2016), a contributor to Blackstone’s Criminal Practice, writes case commentaries for Criminal Law Review, and also writes the bi-annual police station law and practice section of Legal Action. Ed has recently completed a four-country study of suspects’ rights in police detention, published as Inside Police Custody: An Empirical Account of Suspects’ Rights in Four Jurisdictions, and is currently working on a European Commission funded project on pre-trial detention.
If you are already a member of the LCCSA / CLSA then you need to login to access this restricted content. If you're not a member, then why not join now and get immediate access. Alternatively, you can pay a single fee of £15 by first subscribing to this site as a free member and then returning to this page where a "buy-now" form will appear. You'll then be able to watch this webinar as many times as you want!